Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mock Buckeyes

I know. Look at those...

If 2007 was the Season of the Sides & Dressings, then 2008 was definitely the Era of the Expanding Waistline, because I allowed my mind to wrap around recipes I would have normally never considered making, given my kids' restricted diet. In all honesty, these were made with soy nut butter (unsafe for my set) rather than sunflower butter (safe but "eeiwy", according to my son), but since soy is one of my staples and something my husband has grown accustomed to in the absence of peanut butter, I thought I'd give them a shot. They were so. flippin'. good.

The recipe is Kids With Food Allergies' Peanut-free Buckeyes, and it is delish. The recipe calls for sunflower seed butter (but I used soy nut butter), and also calls for butter or margarine but Mama, don't let that stop you! I used Spectrum organic 100% palm oil shortening in mine and it was an excellent sub. If you think you can't bake yummy treats because you don't have a safe margarine, think again! Spectrum + a small amount of water can be used as a direct sub for almost any recipe that calls for butter or margarine. So go, quick like a bunny, and get some Spectrum so you can bake yourself silly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you say, Mama?